Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chapter 7: Refuting An Argument

In chapter 7, Epstein talks about refuting an argument. He shows that there are 3 direct ways of refuting an argument directly:
1. shows that at least one of the premises is doubtful
2. shows that the argument isn't strong
3. shows that conclusion doesn't connect, or false

An example of refuting an argument:
During this past weekend, me, my boyfriend and our friends went to LA for EDC (Electric Daisy Carnival). The weather was extremely hot and humid that I was drinking water nonstop. But my boyfriend only drank a bottle of water when I know he is thirsty. I asked him how come he isn't drinking more water, he said that he doesn't want to use the restroom during the rave. His conclusion doesn't make sense because under the crazy hot/humid weather, all the water you drink will sweat out by itself. That's why it's so important to keep your body hydrate under the heat.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah. Interpersonal situations often bring out contradictions. I think the closer you are to the person you are talking to, the more likely you are to accidently create contradictions.

    The same type of thing happens to me sometimes. I tell a close friend I won't bother them. Then something comes up and I worry, feeling that I need to find out how things are going. This is the crucial moment. How does my friend really feel about my contacting them? Did they really mean that I should leave them alone?

    I think the struggle is because of emotional involvement. We say one thing, and believe we can follow through. Then, when the time comes, our emotions gain control and - we act in a contradictory manner.

    So, what to do, what to do. We need reminders. I think it's called being human.

    June 30, 2010 6:28 PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of feel like his conclusion does make sense if you did in fact phrase the question, "Why aren't you drinking more water?" If his response is because he does not want to use the bathroom... the refutation makes sense. If you had phrased it,"It is really hot right now, and you are going to get really dehydrated if you do not drink any water. Why aren't you drinking more water?" then his response about not wanting to wait in line for the bathroom would not make any sense because it would not be in response to your argument. He would be answering something else entirely that you did not ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when boyfriends use such stupid logic. They think that they are being smart by playing it lazy. This is a great example of Refuting an Argument. This example shows the third way of refuting which is that the conclusion doesn't connect or false. It is hot and humid yet he does not want to drink water because he doesn't want to pee. In the long run he could have become dehydrated and fainted. Or would have had to gone to the hospital for getting sick and then he would have missed all of EDC. Great job on this assignment, and great job on the example that you used.

    ReplyDelete