Thursday, July 1, 2010

Interesting Concept.

A concept that was interesting to me is called "The contradictory of a claim" on chapter 6, compound claims. So what is considered as contradictory of a claim? It is: "a claim that has an opposite value in all possible circumstances" - Epstein.

For example: A does not equal to B, and B does not equal to A

Sometimes, my friends say things that they do not know it contradicts itself. The other day, I needed a ride from my friend Kevin to somewhere and he said he will be there in 30 mins. But after 30 mins, my best friend called me and said he can't make it so therefore, I would have to take the bus to wherever I am going. This is a contradicting because Kevin said he'll give me a ride but yet, he didn't even come through.

I find this concept interesting/useful because sometimes I say things that makes no sense at all. After reading this concept, it made me realize that I should think about the long run rather than at the moment or else I might end up contradicting myself.

3 comments:

  1. Many people do not realize or know what they are talking about at times. I sometimes make that mistake as well. But if we could correct our mistakes and not contradict our own words, we would be better well of speaking society that wouldn't have to worry about mistakes.

    By learning from our mistakes, we can be better people and at the same time help one another to not make the same mistakes twice.

    I also like your choosing of contradictory claims because I chose this subject as well! it's a very interesting piece in the book and we all can learn from it. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you picked an interesting subject and I liked your example that you used. As for myself I find that I am always making contradictory claims. Like I will say when a sports figure screws up "that goalie on our team sucks (hockey) or that we have the worst point guard in the league (basketball)" but when he has a great game I praise him and say "wow I am so glad he is on our team, what a great player". So yeah it is funny how we sometimes get caught up in the moment and do not think things through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another very great concept and topic! I think everyone does this at least once in their life time if not more. I can personally say I've done it. I have to agree to Boffmanmike and beaver4973 comments as well. This is kind of lame but the other day I was The Desperate Housewives of New York City and they did this whole like this 3 min video on one of the housewives, Kelly, who would constantly contradict herself. For example, she'd say I don't eat processed foods foods but was like I love gummy bears, where like sugar is processed. lol anyways great job!

    ReplyDelete