Monday, July 26, 2010

Misleading claims with numbers (defintion & example)

Misleading Claims with numbers:
in Chapter 10, there were quite a number of examples in section A: misleading claims with numbers. A concept that I found interesting and I can relate to is called "two times zero is still zero". This is where someone gives a numerical comparison that makes something look impressive but no comparison is provided.

An everyday example that I would like to share is: Since I work at Banana Republic as a sales associate, my manager has a "pants selling goal" for me each week. In average, I have to sell 16 pants for the 4 days I work in total. Just a few days ago, my manager and I sat down and talked about my productivity. He said "Did you know that pants selling in our store went up to 67% percent in just the month?" It didn't strike to me until I read chapter 10 of Epstein's critical thinking book that my manager is missing the comparison. Sure, the store's pants sale went up by 67%, but my manager never told me how many in total were sold during the past month.

No comments:

Post a Comment