Monday, July 19, 2010

Appeals to Emotions.

Emotions play a huge role for our reasoning in every argument. In chapter 10 "too much emotion", there are three types of appeal to emotions:
1. appeal to emotions: this is where the premise encourage you to do something because you feel a certain way
2. appeal to fear: this is a way of how politicians and advertisers manipulate the public
3. appeal to site: this is where someone gets their revenge or to "get even"

An appeal that stood out to me the most was "appeal to site". I can relate this to something that happened to one of my friend last saturday. My friend Carol hated this girl named Selina because Selina was flirting with a guy that Carol is dating. My boyfriend had a get together which Carol and Selina went with their guys. As soon as Carol saw Selina's guy, she flirted with him so much that it seemed like them two were together! I pulled Carol aside and asked how come she's flirting with Selina's guy. Her response was that she wants to get revenge with Selina. With this situation, it relates to "appeal to site" because Carol wants to "get even" with the girl she hates.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you started your blog on stating and defining the three types of appeal to emotions. It gives the reader a clear and concise look at what appealing to emotions is all about and how there is not just one concept but three! Your definitions of all three were clear and easy to follow.

    I thought the one you chose that appealed to you the most not only contained a well stated example however I found it very relatable and interesting. I have also seen that happen with my friends and friends of friends and on tv such as "Laguna Beach" and other reality tv shows.
    It seems that "appeal to site" ends up leading to drama when pertaining to your example and other situations similar to yours. When someone wants and plans to "get even," sometimes that idea tends to backfires one way or the other.
    Great post overall!

    ReplyDelete