Thursday, July 15, 2010

Interesting Concept.

The concept that I found most interesting is on chapter 8, general claims and their contradictories. In this section, they talked about how whenever an argument seems valid, it's not. We have to look for premises such as:
All: means "every single one, no exceptions"
Some: means "at least one, but not all"

I noticed that in my daily life, people say a statement that may seem like valid, but it really isnt since the premises either neglect the "all" or 'some" principles like chapter 8 mentioned.

I think it's interesting how there are so many ways we can make general claims and it's hard to set formulas for contradictories. I find it interesting how when people try to win in an argument that sometimes they contradict themselves. For example, my coworker said "I have free movie tickets since one of my high school friend works at the theater." then later I found out that she told our other coworker that she doesn't have a friend that works there. She told him that it was a friend's friend who works at the theater. From this, I believe she can use some tips on general claims. When we say something to someone, we should make sure that it is the truth (because lies usually contradict anyway...)

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was interesting too. Not only was it interesting, but it was so confusing too! This course isn’t kidding when it says critical thinking! Ha, just kidding. It’s just crazy how initially, an argument or claim really can appear to be valid. It seems valid up until you really analyze the choice in words, and then BAM the validity makes a total transition in a matter of one or two words. People just have to choose their words wisely, because I know I probably carelessly contradict myself in argument all the time for the exact reasons stated in chapter 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you have a very interesting post here! I have to agree with you that people would contradict themselves without realizing they're doing it. To tell you the truth, I contradict myself many times when trying to make a claim. I would think that the claim I'm making is valid but turns out it really isn't. By reading Chapter 8, I really learned alot about general claims and their contradictories. It's quite confusing but simple once I got the hang of it. :)

    ReplyDelete