Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Violating the Principle of Rational Discussion

Fallacies: A bad argument that has been said to be unrepairable.

Mistaking the person (group) for the claim - definition: Any argument that someone gives about another person is bad.

Example of mistaking the person (group) for the claim: During my high school days, there was a girl named Joanna and she loved to talk about everyone. If she finds out something small about someone, she would exaggerate what she knows into something more. I remember she spreaded a rumor about me because she heard things from others. When my best friend Carolyn confronted Joanna, she told me that Joanna's argument about the rumors she spreaded about me was bad because she didn't have any facts or evidence to back it up. The only thing she said "oh I just heard things from people so I'm just telling it how it is."

From this example, we can see that Joanna's argument about the rumors she spreaded about me was bad because she didn't have any evidence and facts to back it up. Instead, she just based it on things she "heard".

1 comment:

  1. ey I think that is a great example. I hate it when people spread rumors like that. I heard that all the time in school, like my friend for example. He smelled like smoke one day, so everyone thought he was smoking, then they thought he was doing drugs, then he got in trouble with his parents. It was kinda dumb what happened is he was at the bus stop and someone was smoking a cig. You also hear this in the news all the time, people spreading rumors. Like with Lebron Jame's mom and his team mate supposively having an affair. Turns out they just met with one another and a paprazzi was there and rumors just spread out of control. So yea great example, really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete