Monday, June 28, 2010

Chapter 6: Compound Claims

One interesting concept that I found useful in chapter 6 is called "the contradictory of a claim". That means a claim has the opposite truth views in a certain situation. I find this claim to be useful because I always catch people who contradict themselves because I'm a good listener and have a good memory that I just know when someone is trying to lie their way out. I think lying for the most part always end up to be contradicting because the liar could never keep their story straight.

For example, my boyfriend and I got into an argument last week. He knows that whenever we get into an argument, I always need a day or two to myself just to cool down and think. He agreed to give me some time alone but within three hours, he gave me a call just to check up and see how I am doing. Now, in this situation.. my boyfriend is contradicting himself because he promised to give me a day or two some time alone but yet, he calls me after three hours. From this, it is obvious that his claim is contradicting.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah. Interpersonal situations often bring out contradictions. I think the closer you are to the person you are talking to, the more likely you are to accidently create contradictions.

    The same type of thing happens to me sometimes. I tell a close friend I won't bother them. Then something comes up and I worry, feeling that I need to find out how things are going. This is the crucial moment. How does my friend really feel about my contacting them? Did they really mean that I should leave them alone?

    I think the struggle is because of emotional involvement. We say one thing, and believe we can follow through. Then, when the time comes, our emotions gain control and - we act in a contradictory manner.

    So, what to do, what to do. We need reminders. I think it's called being human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This contradictory statement is true and that is a perfect example on how to describe the contradictory. But as the comment above mine said, we are all human beings. In time, we tend to make contradictory to love ones or the ones we care about the most, but it is all for the good of relationship and caring for one another. I have faced many times at work and other community service activity where I do contradict myself when I talk to my leaders.

    ReplyDelete