Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Subjective & Objective Claim.

Subjective Claim: A claim that is not proven to be true or false but rather based on someone’s thinking, feeling, and beliefs.

Example of a subjective claim:
When I went shopping with my best friend yesterday, we saw a girlfriend and boyfriend arguing in front of everyone. She automatically assumed the guy is a bad boyfriend due to seeing the girl crying. This is a subjective claim because my best friend can’t prove that this is true. Maybe the girl done something to her boyfriend to trigger the angry emotions that he expressed by yelling at each other or the guy is fed up with the girl because she is too annoying and needy.

Objective Claim: a claim that is not subjective but rather impersonal standards.

Example of an objective claim:
When I went to the gym with my brother today, he told me that he weighs 170 pounds for being 5’10”. This is an objective claim because how much he weighs and how tall he is does not affect me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anny,
    I really liked how you defined what a subjective and objective claim was and then went into your examples. I have to agree with your analysis on your examples. Your first example is a subjective claim, like you stated because it invokes personal standards and other people can have different opinions on the matter. Your second example is objective, because it invokes impersonal standards and whether it's true or false doesnt depend on what anyone thinks or believes. So good job!

    ReplyDelete