Friday, June 18, 2010

One Concept that I found interesting/useful.

Chapter 3 of Epstein: What is a good argument?

The concept that I found interesting/useful would be "The conclusion follows from the premises". I thought it was interesting how the author emphasize that even if an argument has a plausible premises, it is not enough. Usually when I try to argue with someone, I always think if I have a plausible claim, it is enough to validate an argument. But after reading this chapter, I learned that in order for the plausible claim to be strong/valid, your conclusion that follows the premise must have a connection. I remember this one time when I argued with my best friend, I made no sense at all. I told her how I don't like one of her friend because she seems high maintenance so therefore, she has a slobby attitude. Just because someone might has nice material possession doesn't mean her attitude is slobby. With this example, the next time when I argue with someone, the premises and conclusion must go together in order for the argument to be effective.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes! Sort of like "Let the punishment fit the crime" (Gilbert and Sullivan, the Mikado) - Let the conclusion fit the premise.

    Listen to politicians sometimes. Talk about convoluted arguments. I often don't see the connection between the argument and the conclusion.

    I try to be logical and have my premise and conclusion connect. It doesn't always happen, especially when emotions are in control.

    But, we are human. Sometimes, even if it doesn't make sense, emotion should rule. I think it depends on the subject.

    On the other hand, if I'm arguing the merits of different medications, I hope to have both a valid and a strong argument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I thought this was a very handy tool as to how to have a strong/valid argument (and how to win one as well). I did not use it as what I found most interesting but it is definitely up there. You used a great example. I have done that numerous times myself. Since your claims and conclusion did not go hand in hand might as well be an opinion. But I think you did a great job with this post and hopefully next time you are in an argument with someone you will remember what you learned from this class and use it in your advantage.

    ReplyDelete